We collect two basic types of information from you in conjunction with your use of the Sites: personal information and non-personal information. Personal information is information that you may provide to us, as described more fully below, when you become a member, make a donation, complete a survey, register for CUB’s mailing list or any part thereof, or provide your e-mail address for any other reason. Personal information is any information that can individually identify you and includes, among other things, your name, e-mail address, telephone number, mailing address, credit card number, billing information, and contact information. Non-personal information includes information that does not personally identify you, but it may include tracking and usage information about your location, demographics, and use of the Sites.
NORMAL WEBSITE USAGE
CUB has a firm commitment to internet privacy. You can visit most portions of our Sites without telling us who you are and without revealing any personally-identifiable information.
Collection of Personal Information From or Through Sites
When you interact with any CUB property page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, we may collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or account including your account ID or “handle.” However, we will comply with the privacy policies of the corresponding social media platform and we will only collect and store such personal information that we are permitted to collect by these social media platforms.
Collection and Use of Personally-Identifiable Information
CUB may collect personally-identifiable data about you when such data is voluntarily submitted to our Sites. There are several circumstances in which you may supply us with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we may collect your personal information:
- Sign up to receive e-mail newsletters or e-mail alerts from CUB
- Participation in surveys, polls, or other research
- Participation in special events and promotions
- Making a donation, joining, or renewing your CUB membership
- Participation on social media accounts involving CUB and our Sites
- Participation in communities, comment threads, other fora, and other interactive services
- Submission of user-generated content on any part of the Sites that permit it
- Any other place on the Sites where you knowingly volunteer personal information
For example, our Sites may require submission of personally-identifiable data for visitors to become a member of CUB or join other CUB activities or programs. Such information is used to send information about CUB to our visitors. Financial information is used to bill visitors in connection with their donations.
Collection and Use of Non-Personally Identifiable Information
CUB may also collect certain information that does not identify you individually and our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of our Sites. We may collect and store any of the following categories of non-personal information:
- Non-identifiable demographic data such as five-digit zip code as part of collecting personal information
- Device information about your computer, mobile device, or other device that you use to access the Sites. This information may include IP address, geolocation information, unique device identifiers, device type, browser type, and browser language.
- Analytics and usage information about your use of the Sites.
- Additional “traffic data” and log files such as time of access, date of access, software crash reports, session identification number, access times, and referring website addresses.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
CUB uses the information we learn from you to help us improve your experience on the Sites. We may use your personal and non-personal Information in the following ways:
- Provide you with the content and services you request
- Track your donation information
- Post your user-generated content to our Sites as you request
- Communicate with you about changes to our policies
- Communicate with you about your comment to a story or topic
- Send you newsletters about general CUB activity, notify you about an important CUB issue, or notify you about a CUB giving campaign or special event
- Administer surveys and polls
- Optimize our resources by gauging how many CUB members live in a particular area of Wisconsin, and who may be impacted by the actions of a public utility or other regulated entity
- Detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- Perform statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Sites and their Site-use patterns
Disclosure to Third Parties
Third parties perform certain services on CUB’s behalf, such as payment processing, data processing, and outreach. These third parties have access to your personal information only as needed to perform their services for CUB and are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of the personal information.
CUB occasionally exchanges member mailing information with other Wisconsin nonprofit organizations. Exchanging information in this way allows CUB to reach a wider audience in a cost-effective manner. A third-party vendor carries out the communication, and the partner nonprofit organizations do not directly receive member information; they will only learn information about CUB members who choose to respond to the third-party communication. You may withdraw your consent to our sharing of your personal information with partner nonprofit organizations at any time by following the opt-out process described below.
We may also use or disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or this site; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, this site or our users, and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, agents, site users, or the public.
Retention of User Information
CUB retains certain member information, such as names, addresses, and donation amounts, on a password-protected server. CUB does not retain member payment information, such as credit card numbers and security codes, as a third-party vendor conducts all credit card processing for CUB.
If you terminate your CUB membership, we may retain information for backup, archival, and/or audit purposes.
CUB uses industry-accepted data collection, security, and encryption methodologies in attempt to ensure the secure collection and transmission of sensitive user information. While we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, this policy should not be construed as a fail-proof warranty of the security of CUB Sites.
LINKS TO OR FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
OPT-OUT, CORRECTION, AND UNSUBSCRIBE PROCEDURES
To opt out of having your information exchanged with other organizations, to cancel your membership, or to correct any information, send us email or postal mail as follows:
Email to: email@example.com.
Postal mail to:
Citizens Utility Board
6401 Odana Road, Suite 24
Madison, WI 53719
In your letter or email, make sure to provide your: full name, mailing address (including city, state, and zip code), and either 1) indication that you do not wish to have your membership information exchanged with other organizations, 2) indication that you do not wish to receive communication from CUB, or 3) correction instructions.
We may continue to contact you via email for administrative or informational purposes, including follow-up messages regarding the administration of your account or other transactions you have undertaken.