Contact us

** Important **

If you have a complaint about your utility, please contact the Consumer Affairs division of the Public Service Commission (PSC). While we try to assist utility customers with their specific issues where we can, CUB does not have any legal authority to directly enforce proper utility billing, or compliance with the utility’s rates and rules, state code, or state statute.

Online: File a complaint online

Phone: You can reach a Consumer Specialist between 7:45 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday, by calling 1-800-225-7729 or 608-266-2001 (Local).

For more information about filing a complaint, please visit the PSC website.